Saturday, March 19, 2011

The David Suzuki movie

Georges pvr'd the David Suzuki movie for me the other day and I just watched it. It was awesome. He had one analogy that I really loved and actually shocked me and my reality:

Imagine the earth as a test tube filled with food. Now add one bacteria in there that would double in population every minute. So after one minute there would be two bacteria; and after two minutes, four bacteria; and after three minutes eight bacteria; etc...and after 60 minutes the test tube would be full and the food depleted. Now, do you know when was the test tube half full? The 59th minute. And at the 58th minute, the test tube was a quarter full; and at the 57th minute it was 1/8th full; so at the 55th minute, it was only 3% full.

If you think about the earth like this, what minute do you think we are at? Well, apparently, all the scientists that david Suzuki has spoken to, including himself, agree that we are already past the 59th minute. If you stop and think and look around, I'm sure you will agree. I do.

Marie
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: