We had a potluck at work today.
I don't know why, but I always put a lot of effort into my dish for these things. It actually upsets me that there is an option to pay to join. Especially in this case, where you only had to pay $5. I'm sure that the people bringing in food spend a lot more than $5. I know I do.
In my case, I made a sweet and sour chicken (Hakka style, i.e. spicy). And I took the time to skewer them onto toothpicks so that each serving had a piece of chicken, red onion, green pepper, pineapple and carrot.
What really upsets me is that people say, "I don't like vegetables", so they just eat the chicken and throw away everything else. Don't people know the effort that goes into growing, harvesting, transporting and preparing the food? It's such a waste. I know it is partly my fault for assuming that everyone would want a piece of every part of the dish, by skewering them, but I am one of those indignant cooks that thinks that food should be eaten the way it was meant to be enjoyed by the chef. Unless you have an allergy, there is no reason why you should be throwing food away.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment