Friday, June 27, 2008

Backyard Farm

All winter long as I rode the GO train into work and looked out the window, there was one backyard along the way that really intrigued me. It looks like it's about 30ft wide and 50ft deep, but there's no lawn or bushes or trees, just a patch of dirt that is obviously where they grow vegetables in the summer. The entire backyard is dedicated to growing food.

Wow. Now that summer is in full bloom, it's so apparent that they have a full-blown little farm going on back there. I see corn, tomato plants, lettuces, and all kinds of other things that I can't yet identify. It's amazing. I just keep thinking how intelligent this family is to be putting their little patch of land to such good use. Imagine how amazing it is for the people living in that house to just step outside and pick whatever vegetables they want to use for dinner that night and then eat it as fresh as absolutely possible. They know exactly where the food comes from, what it took to grow it. It's so healthy and such a great relationship with the land. Bravo! I'm thinking I might knock on their door just to see what I can learn from them.

If I am ever lucky enough to own a piece of land, I most certainly would like to have my own little farm just like that.

No comments: