Wednesday, February 06, 2013

ICL - I did it and I love it

The surgery is over and I can see. I'm in no pain and less than 12 hours after the surgery on my left eye, I feel like my vision is just as good as with my disposable contacts. How did it all go down:

On Saturday, it was my last official day of wearing disposable contact lenses.
On Sunday, I had to start wearing my glasses again because I had to start putting anti-biotic drops in my eyes four times a day. I only had to start the drops on my right eye, but I didn't want to confuse myself or make it complicated, so I just put the drops in both eyes.
On Monday, it was the last full day of wearing glasses. I was too busy at work to think about the surgery, but I had to make time to remind myself to put the drops in.

A little recap of Tuesday "Day 1":

I had to wake up at the ungodly hour of 4:30am to get ready and catch a 5:40 bus downtown. I drove myself to the bus station and then there was a complicated procedure of finding two people who could drive to the station and pick up the car. Not really my problem and it worked out just fine. Ideally, someone would go with you to the surgery, but that wasn't going to happen in my case. But someone does have to pick you up, which I made arrangements for.

I took the bus downtown, took the subway get to the office of my surgery. I was told I had to be there at 7am. So, I was sitting outside the closed doors at 6:30am.

When they opened their doors just before 7, I went in and signed a bunch of forms (which I had previously asked for copies of). At about 7:30, they took us to the prep room and started putting rounds of eye drops for various purposes, which I assume include numbing, cleaning, and dilating. There were about 3 rounds of drops, with about 3-4 drops in each round. There were two other guys scheduled for ICL that day. All of us were doing only our right eye first and left eye the next day. They also put a sticker dot over our right eye to make sure the drops were applied to the correct eye.

The other two guys went first, which was great because I had the benefit of hearing about their experience and then having them validate their immediate results. It literally took each guy 15 minutes to come back to the prep room.

During the surgery: There's a point int he surgery when you black out (the surgeon warned me it was coming), but everything starts clearing up again soon after. I was mostly concerned with keeping my eyes still and not making any sudden movements. Staring at the bright light was bit painful, but I just repeated the mantra that it was only going to be a few minutes and then it would be over. The left eye (the next day) was a lot faster. I think because it wasnt a toric lens, so the surgeon didn't have to rotate the lens to match it up to the perfect spot. The most painful part was when they rip the plastic off your face.

9am: I was previously told that I had to wait at the office for four hours to do a post-checkup and someone had to drive me home, which gave me the impression that they wouldn't let me leave on my own, but they said I could leave anytime. I had to wait for my ride and I was feeling loopy and exhausted...probably because of a combo of the little oil they gave me and the fact that I was awake since way too early in the morning. Anyway, I figured the best thing to do was stay in the 3rd floor lounge and sleep.

12:30pm: I'm at home and pretty groggy. Gonna take (another) nap. It's pretty sunny outside, so I'm wearing my giant black sunglasses. But I have no complaints about my vision or my eyes. I think it worked. This feels amazing!

10:30pm. I can't believe I'm going to sleep with perfect vision. I keep wanting to go to the bathroom to take off my contacts, but I don't have to do that. I just get to go to sleep and when I wake up, everything is still going to be crystal clear, and even better than my vision right now, if anything, can't wait to wake up tmrw morning!

No comments: