Got the iridotomy done today. Thought it would be a lot worse, but it was actually fine. It's less than five hours after the procedure and my vision is fine and I don't notice the "extra pupils in my eyes". This is the last step towards the no turning back point. And at this point, if i'm going to get holes blasted into my iris, I guess I'm gonna do this. Although, I still haven't paid a dime yet, which is pretty cool.
The right eye was done first. A little magnifier was placed right on top of my eye so the surgeon could see it and to keep my eye open, i guess. I was expecting three blasts per eye, only because I read that on some other guy's blog, but it just kept going on and on. There was a little clicking noise with each blast and i could feel a little prick that mostly i didn't mind, but sometimes shot into the back of my head. But that sounds worse that it was. That's the sensation that i think most people find painful. Afterwards, he said that my iris is really thick. I was only a little bit concerned that I couldn't really see out of that eye. Then we moved on to the left eye. This was a lot more difficult because I couldn't see out of my right eye, so I basically watched everything happening to my left eye. I was not so concerned with watching as much as I was concerned with not moving my eye and getting holes drilled all over my iris. It was easier when I could see out of the other eye because then I could choose a point to focus on. For the left eye, i just had to hope that whatever i was seeing was something that would keep my eyes still.
Anyway, the left eye was much faster and more like the three blasts I was expecting. After the left eye was done, he said "sometimes you can find a thinner spot in the iris to do it". Not sure how comforted I was by the different experience with the two eyes.
It also took a lot longer for my vision to return to normal in my right eye. And I think my eyes were more sensitive to light but I'm not sure. I was glad to have my sunglasses on the drive home because the glare off the falling snow was pretty intense, but not sure if that was because of the procedure or just the way I always see. It's been a little over 9 hours since the procedure and I'd say my eyes feel perfectly fine and I don't notice any difference with my vision. Those are both good things.
Glad this is over. Unfortunately because of my "thick iris", I have to go back one more time before the actual surgery to make sure the iridotomy took correctly.
Friday, January 25, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment