Saturday, April 11, 2009

Farming

Now that spring is upon us...i'm starting to get all excited about fresh local produce. I'm dreaming up various ways to grow stuff even though i live in an east facing condo (i do grow some herbs on my balcony, but i'm pretty sure that given the half day of sunlight i get, that's about all it will support). Here is where my mind is wandering to these days:
  1. We have a recreation centre in the middle of our 3 building community with a flat rooftop...even though it'll never fly, i'm thinking about proposing to the board that we make it into a rooftop vegetable garden
  2. There's a fair bit of land around our building waiting to get converted into residential. i wonder what it would take for the municipality to turn it into a co-op neighbourhood garden?
  3. This is for real - I am so serious about this farming thing, I'm going to seek out a farm that I can spend a weekend on and work at. I'd love to see how much work goes into how a farm is run - not one of those commercial, industrial ones. A nice family run farm that believes in sustainable practices...doesn't have to be organic, but one that i anticipate is going to require a lot of hard work. If anyone out there knows of someone I can contact or if you want to contact me, that would be great.

The main thing I dream about when I own a home is what my garden is going to be like...aaah, my garden.

1 comment:

Heather Li said...

Ohmygawd, if you do No. 3, I want in too!!

And I think No. 2 is an awesome idea. I tried finding one around dad's house but no dice.