Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Soap Dispensers

In the past, I have spent good money to buy a nice soap pump dispenser for my bathroom. Inevitably, something would break and then, my nice soap pump would have to be thrown away to join all the other useless garbage in landfill.

In the past, I have also bought the brand name soaps that come in their own pump-y bottle and then re-used this bottle by filling it up with refill soap. Hilariously enough, these bottles have never broken on me.

So, the lesson is - do not buy those stupid overpriced fancy soap pumps. The one you get for free with the liquid hand soap you buy is better quality and serves the exact same purpose. Does it really matter if the bottle says "vanilla spice" and you have filled it up with "orange spice"? No it doesn't.
And, when the day comes to replace one of these "free" soap pumps, it can be recycled, instead of adding it to landfill.

Also you'll find that these "free" soap pumps come in all sorts of fancy shapes now. I really like the Method brand, which has the added bonus of being fully biodegradable and a brand dedicated to the environment. With that said, I'm not sure why Method has not launched any refill products. I am using their bottle as my kitchen dish soap dispenser. It's perfect.

1 comment:

Heather Li said...

This is a pretty enlightening and original post. I don't think I've read anywhere in all the gagillion "green" articles out there something about soap dispensers.